We call this call of the wild; praxis Niche Unity. Each discipline covered is hosted by a field expert. The venue is situated at Shepherds Keep farm between the sea and Groenvlei in the Garden Route. The natural coastal forest setting ensures a refreshing learning environment; a type of ‘situation therapy’ one will remember. Mentorship involves focused question and answer discussions about living closer to nature, going off–grid, ecological design, natural building, agroecology, economics… Each subject involves a general theory component covering key aspects of off-grid survival and a practical experience from which one can extract a related experience. One or more experiences can be pre-arranged; selected according to preference on the following themes:
- Food Growing, practical: mushroom cultivation.
- Home dairy and home grown meat, practical: hand milking and cheese making.
- Off-grid design and building, practical cob mortars and stonework.
- Hunting and self-defence, practical bow-hunting or fishing or guided hike.
- Aquatic environment, sailing or surfing or kitesurfing.
Each experience is a half day morning 0900-1230 or afternoon 1400-1730 depending on weather and preference.
Experiences have similar charges, however additional charges required where equipment charter and transport is required, these are negotiated on individual basis.
Each full experience cost is R850 per person, special offer: extra participants get a 20 percent discount (max group size is 3) on top of this a 10% discount is offered to guests who book accomodation at Shepherds Keep Gite.
Some pictures and details below:
Dreaming of building your hut, going off-grid and not sure whether to take the plunge or where to start? You cannot do better than to chat with Matthew who’s service and experience are embedded in the principles nature and agroecology. The initial meeting can be to enroll in a praxis niche unity experience in order to unpack your situation and to explore options. Thereafter, If you still feel the need for Matt’s assistance then a personal package (advice, hands-on, on-site training, site-management) can also be negotiated.
In essence, we can enable you to:
- envisage an alternative to the consumerist trap most of us are in
- take the first steps
- build your home (location, plans, natural building techniques)
- develop water harvesting and wastewater treatment systems
- build off-grid systems (solar and biomass)
- manage biomass (alien vegetation control and biomass composting, land rehabilitation, landscaping)
- build your livelihood (natural animal husbandry, cheese making, mushroom cultivation, brewing)
- build and benefit from your community